Guinea pigs are social animals that need a lot of exercise. As a result, a good indoor guinea pig cage should have plenty of room for exercise. However, unlike other rodents, they do not jump or climb. Therefore, guinea pigs require more floor space unlike other rodents.
When choosing an indoor guinea pig cage, it is important to ensure that you choose a cage that is both comfortable and safe for your guinea pig. There are 2 major factors that you need to consider when choosing an indoor guinea pig cage.
- The size of the cage – most commercial guinea pig cages are designed to house only 1 guinea pig. If you intend to house more than 1 guinea pig, choose a cage that is large enough to provide a comfortable living space. A single guinea pig needs at least 7.5 sq feet while 2 guinea pigs need at least 10.5 sq feet.
Guinea pigs are social animals and thrive in pairs, we therefore recommend housing them in pairs.
- Material – choose a guinea pig cage that is made with materials that are safe for your guinea pig. Guinea pig cages can be made of glass, plastic, metal or wire. A good guinea pig cage should be made of safe material that ensures enough ventilation for your guinea pigs and one that is gentle on their sensitive feet.
To help you pick the right cage for your fur baby, here is our top pick of the best indoor guinea pig cages.
Comparison table of best indoor guinea pig cage
|Midwest guinea pig cage||4.6 / 5||47" X 24" X 14"|
|Living world deluxe habitat||4.7 / 5||Standard: 30.5" x 18.8" x 19.7" |
Large: 37.8" x 22.5" x 22"
X-Large: 46.9" x 22.8" x 24"
|Amazon basics small animal cage||4.5 / 5||Jumbo: 48.6" x 26.6" x 20.6"|
Large: 42.13" x 19.17" x 24.21"
Standard: 31.7" x 21.8" x 18.1"
|Klorik XXL rabbit cage||4.4 / 5||63.8" x 23.6" x 19.7"|
|Kaytee Deluxe guinea pig habitat||4.2 / 5||Large: 18" x 30" x 19"|
X-Large: 18" x 42" x 19"
Giant: 48" x 24" x 24"
|PawHut small animal cage||4.4 / 5||Small: 34.75" x 22" x 50.5"|
Large: 46.5" x 24.5" x 67"
Best indoor guinea pig cage
This spacious guinea pig cage provides 8 square feet of space for your guinea pig as recommended by veterinarians and breeders.
We recommend this guinea pig cage because it provides an ample living space for your guinea pig.
This guinea pig cage has a fully removable wire mesh top which not only ensures proper ventilation but also protects your guinea pigs against predators. The top is foldable with multiple access areas. Additionally, the cage has a divider panel that has hinged doors that allow you to separate the play area from care areas.
The cage has a leak proof washable canvas bottom that is lined with PVC. You can easily remove the canvas bottom for easy maintenance. The material is durable and allows for traction which protects the guinea pig’s sensitive feet.
This guinea pig cage is ideal because you can easily expand it by combining more guinea pig habitats to create more play space for your guinea pigs.
- Easy to set up and requires no additional tools for assembly
- Budget friendly
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Can be expanded to create more play area for your guinea pigs
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Provides an ample living space for your guinea pig
- The cage walls may be wobbly
- The sides are too low
- Guinea pigs can easily chew holes in the bottom canvas
This cage is ideal because it provides everything you need to house your guinea pigs safely and comfortably.
The living world deluxe habitat cage has an upper wire frame that ensures proper ventilation for your guinea pig. The wire top opens easily for easy access inside the cage. Additionally, it has a plastic bottom base that is both safe and comfortable for your guinea pig. Both materials are guinea pig friendly. The bottom floor is smooth and flat and cannot injure your guinea pig feet.
We recommend this spacious cage because it has everything you need to comfortably house your guinea pig. It includes a balcony that has an access ramp. A hay guard and a feeding bowl that your guinea pig cannot tip. A drip proof water bottle. Lastly, this cage has a hiding area where your guinea can rest.
There are three sizes that you can choose from. If you choose this cage, we recommend the X- Large one because it is spacious enough for your guinea pig.
- Easy to assemble, requires no additional tools
- Made from guinea pig friendly material that are durable
- It is spacious providing an ample space for exercise
- The top frame does not open completely which can make it difficult to clean the cage.
The Jumbo small animal habitat by Amazon basics is great for guinea pigs because it provides a spacious safe living space.
This cage has an upper wire frame that ensures proper ventilation and a PP plastic base that is gentle on guinea pig’s sensitive feet.
You can easily access your guinea pigs either through the large top opening or through the side opening.
This cage is ideal because it includes all the accessories you need to house your guinea pig comfortably. The package includes a balcony with an access ramp. A hide-away space below the balcony for your guinea pig to rest. A hay guard, a feeding bowl that is tip proof and a non-drip water bottle.
- Easy to assemble, no additional tools needed
- Easy to clean and maintain due to the opening at the top and side that allow easy access
- Spacious, you can house 2 guinea pigs in the jumbo cage
- The balcony is flimsy
Krolik XXL rabbit cage is a large cage that is perfect for guinea pigs who need a lot of space to exercise. It is spacious and you can use it to house up to 3 guinea pigs comfortably.
The design of this cage is patented by Ferplast. It includes a powder coated wire net at the top that ensures proper ventilation and a 5.5” deep plastic bottom base. The bottom base contains litter and is gentle on guinea pig’s sensitive feet. Additionally, this cage has a separate wire extension that is ideal for nesting.
Krolik XXL rabbit cage is ideal because it includes all the accessories you need for your guinea pig. It includes 2 large water bottles, 2 hay feeders, a feeding bowl and an elevated feeding area.
Lastly, this cage has multiple doors that give you easy access inside the cage. You can therefore easily handle your guinea pigs.
- Does not require additional tools to assemble or disassemble
- Does not take up space when not in use and is therefore practical to carry for different occasions
- Easy to maintain and clean. You can easily detach the cage to clean and remove litter or debris.
- It is spacious such that you can house up to 3 guinea pigs
- Includes a 1-year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Very hard to assemble
- Does not have a top door which makes it hard to clean
- The front door is flimsy
- Made of material that is not durable
Kaytee my first home is an ideal habitat for guinea pigs due to a number of reasons.
First, this cage offers plenty of room for your guinea pig to play and roam. It includes accessories you might need. Included in the package is a comfort shelf, safety ramp, water bottle, food dish, hay buffet, and caster wheels.
This guinea pig cage has a deep plastic base that is made of safe polypropelene. The base is smooth and gentle on guinea pig’s sensitive feet. Additionally, the deep plastic base prevents bedding from scattering.
Kaytee my first home cages are made of durable wire tops that are powder coated. The wire tops are 1” apart and makes for easy viewing and allows for good ventilation.
Lastly, this cage has chew proof latches and a large front door that allows you to easily access your guinea pig.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble, the cage snaps together in minutes and requires no additional tools
- Cleaning this cage is easy as the base can easily be detached and reconnected
- Made from durable materials that are safe for guinea pigs
- The cage is too small, can only fit 1 guinea pig
- May be difficult to put together at first
- The plastic base is flimsy and wears off easily
- Does not have a top door hence maybe difficult to access your guinea pig
The PawHut small animal cage is perfect for guinea pigs because it provides a spacious comfortable living space with a run. Your guinea pigs therefore have plenty of room for exercise.
This cage is made using steel wires that ensure proper ventilation. The steel wires are painted black making the cage weather resistant and rust resistant. You can use it both indoors and outdoors.
PawHut small animal cage comes with everything you need to comfortably house your guinea pig. Included in the package is a balcony with an access ramp, a fleece ramp to the run space, a water bottle and bowl, and a food.
- Easy to clean and maintain, you can easily open the roof to clean the cage
- Lightweight to move and transport and the run can easily be folded when not in use
- The cage can easily be moved as it has 4 caster wheels with 2 having breaks so as to stop easily and to stay in place
- Easy to assemble and set up
Related: Guinea pig food