Pet hedgehogs spend most of their time inside their cage. As a result they need a large cage so as to be able to move around in order to exercise. Which is why you need to find the right kind of cage for your hedgehog.
Our top pick
8 sq. feet of living space (47 x 24 x 14 inches)
1 inch bar spacing
6 sq. feet of living space
1 1/4 inch bar spacing
8 sq. feet of living space
1 inch bar spacing
Factors to consider when selecting a cage for your hedgehog
The following factors will guide you to know what kind of cage you need for your hedgehog.
- Size; hedgehogs need a large cage that will allow them to move around. We recommend a minimum floor space of about 6 sq. feet and a high wall. Additionally, the cage should be large enough to have space to fit hedgehog accessories such as a wheel.
- Solid base; hedgehogs have very small feet that can easily get stuck between small spaces which may lead to injuries. They therefore need a cage with a solid floor to avoid this.
- Secure; hedgehogs are good climbers and can climb on objects within their cage to escape. We recommend a cage with a high wall to prevent this. Additionally, a cage with a lid is more secure hence recommended.
- Ventilation; a good hedgehog cage should have proper ventilation. Wire cages allow for good ventilation and are thus more superior.
- Easy to clean; a good hedgehog cage should be easy to clean. A cage that is light weight and one that can easily be disassembled and assembled are easy to clean and thus preferable.
- Material; you can use either a wire, plastic, glass or wooden cage to house your hedgehog. Wire cages are however more preferred as they are light weight and have good ventilation.
- Your budget; most importantly you need to consider your budget.
What kind of cage is the best for a hedgehog?
There are three types of cages that are commonly used for hedgehogs including
- Wire cages
- Plastic cages
- Other cages such as glass aquariums and wooden cages
The best wire cages for hedgehogs
Wire cages are the most common type of cage that are used for hedgehogs. They are light weight, easy to assemble and disassemble and allow for proper ventilation which makes them superior to other types of cages.
Here is our top pick of the best wire cages that you can use to house your pet hedgehog.
Guinea pig habitat, Guinea pig cage by Midwest
We recommend this Guinea pig cage by Midwest for hedgehogs due to a number of reasons.
First, this cage is very large. It provides up to 8 sq. feet of living area for your pet hedgehog. As such your pet hedgehog will get all the exercise they need by moving around this cage. Additionally, you can place in all your hedgehogs’ accessories within this cage and still have enough room for your hedgehog to walk around.
Secondly, this wire cage is lined by a durable, leak proof, washable PVC lined canvas that can easily be removed. This provides a solid bottom that is gentle on your guinea pigs sensitive feet. Furthermore, you can easily remove the canvas bottom which makes cleaning and maintenance easy.
Additionally, this guinea pig cage by Midwest is secure. It is made using sturdy alloy steel wire that ensures your hedgehog is safe. Additionally, the spacing between the wires is about 1 inch apart, therefore your pet guinea pigs cannot easily escape through the spaces. Furthermore, this cage has a wire mesh top that protects your hedgehog from other animals and keeps them from escaping.
In addition this cage is 14 inches high which makes it deep enough to provide a secure living area for your hedgehogs. However, do not use this cage without the top as hedgehogs are good climbers and may climb out of the cage.
Lastly, you do not require any tools to assemble this cage. It is therefore easy to use and maintain.
- Very large, provides up to 8 sq. feet of living area
- Has a solid bottom that is gentle on hedgehogs sensitive feet
- Secure, made of sturdy alloy steel
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- Requires no tools to set up hence easy to use
- You cannot easily move the cage once it is set up as it can easily crumble
- It is expensive
- The canvas material is not easy to clean
Amazon Basics Indoor-Outdoor Small Pet Habitat cage
The Amazon Basics Small Pet Cage is ideal for hedgehogs due to a number of reasons.
The first reason is that it is large. It provides about 8 sq. feet of living area for your pet hedgehog. As a result, your hedgehog can easily move around the cage to get the exercise they need. Additionally, you can fit in all your hedgehog’s accessories within this cage without compromising on space.
Secondly, this Amazon Basics small pet cage is made using a sturdy steel wire frame that ensures your pet hedgehog is safe and secure. The bar space is about 1 ¼ inch and thus your hedgehog cannot easily escape through the space. This cage may however not be suitable for baby hedgehogs.
The other reason is because this wire cage is attached to a leak proof polyester canvas bottom. As such, this cage has a solid bottom which is gentle on hedgehog’s sensitive feet.
Additionally, you can easily detach the canvas bottom from the wire cage. This makes this cage easy to clean and maintain.
Lastly, you do not require any tools to assemble this cage. It is therefore easy to use and maintain even for beginner hobbyists.
- Budget friendly
- It is large about 8 sq. feet providing a large area for exercise
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble thus easy to clean and maintain
- Has a solid bottom that is gentle on sensitive feet
- It is made using sturdy steel wire hence secure
- Detaching the canvas bottom is harder than the Midwest wire cage which makes this cage harder to clean
- The instructions are hard to understand thus this cage may be difficult to put together for a beginner hobbyist
Midwest wabbitat folding rabbit cage
The Midwest wabbitat folding rabbit cage is another good wire cage that we recommend for hedgehogs for a number of reasons.
The first reason is because this cage is large. It provides up to sq. feet of living area providing your guinea pig with enough room for exercise even with all their accessories in place.
The other reason why we recommend this cage is because it is secure. It is made using a sturdy steel wire that ensures your hedgehog is safe. Additionally, the spacing between the wires is 1 inch apart, as such your hedgehog cannot easily escape from this cage.
Lastly, you do not need special tools to assemble this cage. This cage sets up easily making it very easy to use even for beginner hobbyists.
However, this cage does not have a solid bottom. It has a ½ inch grid mesh floor which can easily injure your hedgehogs if they got stuck between the spaces. You can however remove the grid mesh or place a fleece blanket on it so as to protect your hedgehog’s feet. The cage is also lined with a removable plastic pan that acts as a urine guard which can act as the floor if your remove the grid mesh.
- It is large providing about 6 feet of living area to your hedgehog
- It is secure ensuring your hedgehogs will be safe
- You do not need special tools to assemble this cage
- Easy to use and maintain
- You can easily remove the pan to clean it
- Does not have a solid bottom, you can however remove the mesh grid floor or use a fleece blanket to protect the hedgehogs sensitive feet
The best plastic cages for hedgehogs
Plastic cages also make a good kind of cage for hedgehogs. They are light weight, easy to clean and have solid floors that make them safe and secure for hedgehogs.
There are several types of plastic cages that are used for hedgehogs. We recommend plastic cages that are combined with wire to increase the level of ventilation in the cage.
Here is our top pick of the best plastic cages that can be used to house hedgehogs.
Living world deluxe habitat
We recommend the Living world deluxe habitat because it is designed in a way that allows you to safely house your hedgehog.
There are a number of things that make this cage ideal. First, this cage has an upper wire frame and a plastic bottom base. The wire frame allows for proper ventilation while the plastic base provides a solid ground that is gentle on your hedgehog’s sensitive feet. This enables your hedgehog to live comfortably in this cage.
The other thing that makes this cage ideal for hedgehogs is because it is large. It provides about 8 sq. feet of living space. As such, your hedgehog can move around and get the exercise they need. Furthermore, you can add as many hedgehog accessories as you need without compromising on space.
Additionally, this cage is very secure. The bar spacing between the wires is about 1 inch. Therefore your hedgehog will not be able to escape through the bars. Additionally, the cage has a secure lid which will keep your hedgehog in the cage. Furthermore the cage is very sturdy such that you can move it easily without it collapsing.
Lastly, this cage is easy to set up and maintain. You do not require any special tools to set this cage up. Furthermore, you can easily detach the upper frame from the plastic bottom in order to clean the cage. As such, this cage is easy to clean and maintain.
- This cage is large – it offers up to 8 sq. feet of living space for your hedgehog
- It is easy to set up, clean and maintain – you do not require any special tools to set this cage up
- This cage has a solid base
- Allows for proper ventilation – has an upper wire frame
- It is secure – the bar space is about 1 inch apart
- The raised honeycomb pattern on the floor makes cleaning this cage completely difficult
- You have to dissemble the cage in order to clean it which makes cleaning this cage a lot of work considering its size
Amazon Basics Small Animal Cage Habitat with Accessories – Jumbo
The Jumbo small animal habitat is another good plastic cage suitable for hedgehog. It is an ideal cage for hedgehogs due to a number of reasons.
The first reason is because it is made of an upper wire frame and a pp plastic bottom. The wire frame allows for good ventilation while the plastic bottom is gentle on hedgehog’s sensitive feet. As such this cage provides a comfortable living space for your hedgehog.
Secondly, this cage is large. It provides your hedgehog with up to 6 sq. feet of living area. Your hedgehog can therefore move around within the cage comfortably and you can place all your hedgehog’s accessories without compromising on space.
Additionally, this cage is very sturdy. You can therefore carry and move it safely.
The other reason why this cage is ideal is because the bar spacing between the wire is about 1 inch. Therefore your hedgehog cannot easily escape from the cage which makes it safe to house your hedgehogs on this cage.
Lastly, it is easy to assemble, use, clean and maintain this cage. You do not require additional tools to assemble the cage.
- Very large – offers up to 6 sq. feet of living space
- Has a solid bottom – protects your hedgehogs sensitive feet
- Easy to set up, clean and maintain- you do not require additional tool to set it up
- Allows for proper ventilation
- With use, the cage tends to get flimsy.
- It is quite expensive for a cage its size